Monday, March 28, 2011

Helpful Tips

When I began this journey 4 years ago with the Bradford's CSA I had no idea I would end up as a "contributor" on their blog. I'm just a homeschooling mom trying to feed my kiddos pure healthy food. And what better way to do that than eating straight off the farm. For this city girl.... that was quite a change! So I thought I would share some tips with you that I have picked up along the way.

First of all, a salad spinner is almost a must. The lettuce isn't like in the grocery store, all washed and cut up in bags ready to dump in a bowl. A little twirl in the salad spinner is just what you need to get it ready to eat.

A food processor is awesome if you can afford one. Some of them are pricey, but worth the investment. Anytime we can't eat something up fast enough before the next basket comes- I puree and freeze it. This doesn't work with everything, but most items. With a food processor you can make delicious pesto, salsa, tomato sauce, shredded zucchini, just to name a few. You can make all these things without them, I have just switched over to the processor because it saves me time and food doesn't spoil.

My last tip for this week is a strong pair of kitchen scissors. I cut everything with them. From lettuces for chopped salads, herbs for soups, and even beef for fajitas! You need a pair that is comfortable on your hands and strong enough to get through the produce.

If you have any questions feel free to leave one in the comments section and we'll be sure to answer it. Thank you so much for supporting local organic farming. Stay tuned for more tips and recipes to come weekly through out the season.

-Megan


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Megan, thanks! We're really excited about doing this and we're definitely new to it. Couple of questions:

    Is there a cookbook that you've found especially helpful and simple? We don't have a great (= not crazy expensive) clean meat source, so we're just trying to eat less meat and we want to make use of the veggies in our baskets this summer...

    Also, what food processor & attachments do you find most helpful?

    When you freeze stuff, do you just puree or grate and then put it in freezer bags? How long does it last that way?

    :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just saw your cookbook post. So scratch that question. But I'd still like to hear your answers to the others... :) M

    ReplyDelete